Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Africa: A Different Perspective

My students study Africa.  It is in the Eastern Hemisphere.  My curriculum covers World Cultures of the Eastern Hemisphere.   It sounds  simple.... It is NOT.  Africa is a CONTINENT, not A country.  It has more than 53 countries.  It has beauty, struggle, war, and it is complicated.  From governments, to culture, to needs.... it is complex.  Today my students got a rare glimpse at Africa from another perspective:  an actual person who lives there.


There is something magical about a guest speaker.  When someone from another place opens up about their life and their story.... it is simply breathtaking.  Even more breathtaking is the look on students' faces.  When close to 600 students are hushed listening to someone other than themselves....well, it is remarkable.

Today Invisible Children visited our school.  They shared a lot of the history of atrocities happening in Central Africa, and they shared the history of how they came to be where they are today as an organization.  They gave students a glimpse at our political process.  Middle School students maybe can't vote, but they sure can talk.  They have a voice.  They have LOUD voices and they can use that voice for something other than recreation.  Today students  viewed a short video, listened to speakers, and wrote letters to their Senator encouraging the continued support of ending atrocities committed by the LRA in Central Africa the past 26 years.

Throughout the day, our guests complimented our school on having such great understanding of what was happening.  They appreciated the background knowledge students exhibited, and they were impressed with the mural project from last year.  After photo ops, autographs, lunch, snacks, and such, they packed up their van.  I'm quite sure our halls will never be the same.  At least, I'm hoping they WON'T be the same.  I know I am NOT the same.

I had the rare privilege of hosting our speakers for dinner and as overnight guests.  I sat in awe of their normalcy.  I felt as if I was having dinner with someone I had known my whole life. As the evening progressed I looked around my living room to see us all curled up on couches, watching the Presidential Debate.  It was a perfectly normal night.  The differences between our worlds seemed minimal and I was awestruck by the fact that if I can sit down at the table with my whole family and strangers, and offer them a chance to curl up in a sleeping bag on my living room floor, surely we can all work together to end a war?

1 comment:

  1. What an invaluable experience you've given not just your students, but the entire school! Helping middle school students learn that they do have a voice and they they can change the world is just awesome. Kudos, Mrs. Barry!!

    ReplyDelete