Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Pyramids of 7B!

I posed a question to my 7th graders about two weeks ago:  
"Would you like to earn extra credit by creating a pyramid out of the material of your choice?"
The Pyramids of Giza by Maddie Genskow

Edible 3-layer cake by Amber Yung!  Yum.

Tut's Tomb by Josh Strauss
The excitement and response was electrifying!  I had around 40 students create pyramids of all shapes and sizes.  They used a variety of materials, and many of them worked in pairs.  Some of the pyramids were edible, others used recycled materials, and many of them could be a great vacation home for Barbie!

Students could earn anywhere from 1-10 points.  My rules were that they needed to create the pyramid, not use blocks, or legos, or pre-made toys to build it.  They couldn't just slam some paper together and expecgt to get 10 points. Adding some facts, and information was encouraged.

Kyle Goodell's pyramid of graham crackers.



As I graded these projects this weekend, I was reminded of the movie Field of Dreams and the tagline:  "If you build it, he will come!" I think in this case my tag line would be:  "If you ask them, they WILL build it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment