Saturday, August 27, 2011

Welcome to the Big Leagues Mrs. Barry!

After 16 years in Elementary School, I am in the BIG LEAGUES!  I finally got to go to Middle School.  My first two weeks are over and I can say with PURE JOY, " I REALLY LIKE 7TH GRADE!"  The students are so capable.  They have great ideas and a good sense of humor.  This is likely because I am used to a much more elementary mentality, so perhaps your 7th grader isn't quite as funny to you as they are to me!

We have started the year with continents, oceans, maps, and Mesopotamia!  All of this will provide you with loads of stimulating conversation around your dinner table in the evenings.  In fact, one of the most interesting discussions we had in class this week centered around the ruler, Hammurabi, and the many laws he instituted during his rule.  One rule you may be familiar with is, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth."  What an interesting discussion students had debating if this would be an effective law for a community today.  Would it keep people on the straight and narrow?  Would it benefit only one class?  Would it create more reckless behaviors?

When it was all said and done it appeared most of my students were thankful to live in our country today and not Ancient Mesopotamia!

Coming soon: What's in a Box?  Archaeology at its Best.




No comments:

Post a Comment